What the Health Care Law means for ADS Logistics
Health care reform isn’t a new idea; it’s been a hot media topic for several years. I remember first hearing about this back in early 1990’s under President Clinton’s administration. President Obama campaigned hard on this issue during his bid for the White House and on March 23, 2010 signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act into law.
As you can imagine a law such as this is complicated and there are many moving parts to its administration. There are even challenges in the courts, as many states claim the law is unconstitutional and places an unfair burden on state government. There are different effective dates for provisions in the law, with many not taking place until 2014.
Here are a few provisions that will ultimately impact ADS Logistics:
- Automatic enrollment in medical plan, with “opt out” option
- Removal of lifetime benefit maximums while covered on the plan
- Dependent children will be eligible for coverage up to the age of 26
- Denial of claims based on pre-existing limitations will be eliminated
- The tax penalty for employees using money in an HSA for a non qualified medical expense will rise to 20% in 2011
- There will be fewer restrictions on discounts allowed for wellness participation
Again the law is new, complicated, and still open for change as court challenges are heard and provisions implemented on a lagged time schedules. ADS will continue to update our plan as needed and ensure we are in full compliance with the law.
For the full text of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act along with the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act visit: http://dpc.senate.gov
Written by Annmarie Plant: Human Resources- ADS Logistics